Friday 9 November 2012

Why it's a Good Idea to Reward Your Children


Previously I've written how bad it is to reward your child. But it can be opinions on the subject. So here are my thoughts from opposite point of view. 

When my child does something good, I try to avoid awarding him with presents like candy, toys, and any other type of gifts. I believe when people give their children gifts, the child will expect a present from their parents every single time. If the parent stops giving gifts the child will think he or she is a failure. They will not understand what they did wrong and will be discourage from moving on. The child will then either get upset or will feel dissatisfied with one’s self. I try awarding my children with complements and encouraging words.
I believe complementing and encourage the child to keep doing what he/she is doing gives them motivation to do more. My children love the complements and the positive feedback.  They are always trying to improve on what they are doing, if its from painting to playing basketball. They like to hear the positive reinforcement. Always getting mine or my husband attention, to show us what they have done.
 I can see my positive reinforcement practices have caught on, now my middle child is praising the youngest one when ever he is coloring in his coloring book and encouraging him to color more. I hope soon all 3 of my boys will be encouraging each other. This is great for their self-esteem and helps them later in school.
Positive reinforcement and encouragement not only helps your kids, it also helps out your pockets. Just think you don’t have to run to the store and buy the next big toy just because your child got an A, just simply hug him/her and tell him/her how proud you are. There is no money that involves encouragement and positive reinforcement.  

No comments:

Post a Comment