Wednesday 14 November 2012

Being Your Friend's Boss: Bright Side

Yesterday I wrote a story of my friend, who became her friend's boss and how all of it ended And today I've already received a message from one of my readers. Her story is quite positive, as opposed to  Want to Hire Your Friend? post.



The author agreed to place her story on my blog, but she decided to remain anonymous:


I’ve been working at my company for about 10 years now. One of my best friends I will call her (Sarah) was looking for a job, for about six months. She confessed to me of how much of a struggle she was having and at the time she wasn’t going to be able to make her next months bills. I thought I would help her out and see if my company had an opening. She was in luck they did. The next week she gave me her resume and I slipped it through to our HR department. By the end of the week she came in for an interview, two weeks later Sarah was sitting right next to me on the same team.
Her and I were ecstatic to work together. To be honest, the first thing that came into mind when Sarah got hired was, I hope working together doesn’t ruin our relationship. She met some of my friends, she liked most except one, that one also didn’t like Sarah. I tried my best to not get involved; I basically told each of them that I didn’t want to hear about the other person. Sarah was fine with it, however the other girl would get jealous every time Sarah and I would go for lunch. It definitely was a juggling act. I cared about my relationship Sarah more because we have been friends forever. In the end I didn’t let the influence of my co-worker get to me, which definitely helped my friendship with Sarah.
With working on the same team with one another, at times I would have to teach Sarah how to do things and vice-versa. We both were patient with each other and had to bite our tongues when giving opinions about work procedures. I would say communication was key, and not to take suggestions personally.
It has been 3 years now and thankfully, our relationship became stronger. I never regretted her working here. Actually with Sarah working here makes my day more cheerful, time just flies by. 


No comments:

Post a Comment